Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Factory v. Handloads for Self Defense?

Oh, the cool stuff I get from the Cactus League mailing list. This from Iron Mike:

On the "liability" issue of carry ammo choices, i.e. store bought or handloaded. This discussion carried over into the choices of targets we practice shooting at, and the ridiculous inferences some civil (or trial) attorneys could attempt using while trying to sway a panel of jurors. Whether the jury sits on a civil case or is a grand jury, deciding to prosecute or not, the following reasoning might be useful in your defense. FYI
L. Mike


"There is a difference between preparation and planning. That is why they are two separate words with different meanings.

Just because I prepare to shoot at a human being by shooting at humanoid targets does not mean I plan to shoot at a human being.

"Always be Prepared." How often was that drilled into us in Boy Scouts.

As I prepare to go to sea with my vessel, I prepare it for the worst. I do plan to NOT be out there in the worst, but would it not be folly to be unprepared for it. In fact, I PLAN to not be there in the worst.

As a rock climber, I have no intention of falling, but I rig up to be prepared for it.

Thru preparation, I have confidence. Thru confident preparation my chances
of survival are greater.

If I am not prepared, I am sure to die.
I have no INTENT to die, therefore I prepare.

Kevin "PRAIRIE BUCK"
VanCleemput

Personally, I'd never pack handloads for self defense, but that is really only because I'm not a very good handloader. Even if I got good at it, I'd still pack premium store-bought defensive ammo and save my reloads for practice and competition. The only exception would be if I was packing my own .45 ACP with FMJ. It's still a good stopper and externally it won't alarm a juror as being unnecessarily destructive. Any handhold you can deny a hostile lawyer is a good move.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger BillyBudd said…

    While shooting at pictures of Barney the purple dinosaur may seem less agressive, We prefer to shoot at the "Golden Triangle" human shaped targets. When was the last time you saw the headline: Three Targets Shot In Home Invasion Attempt. If this stupid logic is the future of litigation what is my seatbelt for?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004