Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Saddle Up, Amoebas!

What better day to launch a blog than Patriots' Day...no, not celebrating Kyle Brady's Inaugural Horse Trailer posting...it's the third anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. An event that forever ruined my own celebration on 9/12, when I raise a glass of Scotch to distant friends on the anniversary of our enlistment into the US Air Force. Well, not ruined, but put into a perspective. For ruined, I need only to look at my parents' wedding anniversary of 11/22, which wasn't even celebrated for 5 or 6 years before a President's assassination colored the day a darker shade.

Twenty-five years ago tomorrow, I raised my right hand in the service of my country. Two and a half years ago, I accepted a folded flag and plaque with the same hand, somehow bitter that I was leaving the service as a retiree, but not a veteran. My country was at War, but I was to be assigned to a Cold War circle-jerk tank instead of the warrior community I left to accept my last assignment. Despite Stop-Loss, it was actually easier to leave than to remain.

Perhaps by adding my words to the blogosphere, I can contribute to steering the nation to a safer, freer idiom...I'd settle for just being entertaining to the few who read my words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004