Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

New Semester

I picked up my new textbooks yesterday. Another 16 credit hours on tap for this semester -- and only two books! I'm taking Adobe Illustrator CS5 and an Illustration Techniques class, which thankfully use the same book. These classes should be a challenge because bezier curves usually kick my ass. Autodesk Maya is a 3D animation program that should be the capstone for my Animation degree. If I'm any good at it, I might have to spend the last of the GI Bill bucks on the software. (Yikes, since it runs at $3500, that would consume by GI Bill $$$ AND dig into my own pocket.)

My 4th class is a retaking of Advanced Cinematography, where I'm going to try for Director (this year, we're doing an Action flick). I know the cards are stacked against me because the professor picked an old guy for Director last year. On the bright side, I have a script submitted; if it gets picked, I can't Direct it, but I'd be more than willing to be a Producer and/or Special Effects Supervisor.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger freddyboomboom said…

    Autodesk ahs a Personal Learning Edition for Maya. Checking on it, it looks like the license is only good for 30 days, but there's an option for being a student, than may give you more time to use it.

    Link to Autodesk.

    You may be able to get away with using the book, and then doing the stuff in Blender (open source Maya type software).

    Just looking at options...

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger freddyboomboom said…

    Actually, selecting I am a student, then clicking "Join the Education Community", you may be able to get a full blown copy for free...

    "To participate in the Autodesk Education Community...

    ...A student is an individual enrolled at a recognized degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution for three (3) or more credit hours in a degree-granting or certificate granting education program or in a nine (9) month or longer certificate program, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such enrollment."

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger freddyboomboom said…

    The license is only a 36 month license, though. But that should be enough for this class. :)

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Exactly! It's enough for the class, but if I decide to animate even semi-pro, I'll buy the software if I haven't discovered (and learned) something else (cheaper/better).

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger freddyboomboom said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 3:14 AM, Blogger freddyboomboom said…

    The aforementioned Blender is free, as in Open Source.

    http://www.blender.org/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004