Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Feel Free to Pile On

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

Article and Comments here.

Hat tip Blogonomicon.

Outdoor Life responds:

As a point of clarification about this blog, it is important for everyone to realize that the opinions expressed here are Jim’s and not necessarily those of Outdoor Life.

I’ve been friends with Jim for many years and have shared countless great times with him talking about both hunting and guns. While I totally support Jim’s right to express his point of view—this is his blog after all—I don’t happen to agree with him on this matter.

His position that AR- and AK-style rifles don’t have a place among our “sporting arms” is not one that I personally, or Outdoor Life as a magazine, happens to share.

In the six years that I’ve worked at Outdoor Life we have never wavered in our support of our Second Amendment rights, which don’t, and shouldn’t, make a distinction about the cosmetic look of the guns that we choose take to our local gun clubs or into hunting camp.

That said, I don’t expect every other hunter and sportsman out there to have a set of opinions that moves in lockstep with mine. So while I don’t share Jim’s view on this, I also know that he is still the same wonderfully talented and good-natured person he was before this post went up. For those of you who have followed him for all or part of his more than thirty years at Outdoor Life, I would ask you to bear that in mind before damning him with personal attacks.

John B. Snow
Executive Editor
Outdoor Life

At last, he pulls the foot out of his mouth.

I guess he's gonna check into rehab now. That's the fashionable thing, nowadays.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger catfish said…

    Again, as Mike Bane says all the time; why people in the shooting industry continue to support hunters and not support "gun games" people is beyond me.

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    The kicker is that it was legal AR-wielding varmint hunters that he was stabbing in the back! He didn't even address the gun games!

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger catfish said…

    Can you imagine what he thinks of us then, Blob??

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    As long as Remington does the right thing and withdraws their sponsorship, and Outdoor Life cuts him loose, I don't care what he thinks, because he'll have to post his vile slander on his own personal blog.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought it was supposed to be sarcastic the first time I read it, It's just so filled with GFW hysteria that I assumed it was a joke.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger John R said…

    "I guess he's gonna check into rehab now. That's the fashionable thing, nowadays."

    Offering to spend time with the Motor City Madman on an AR15 hunt was his version of rehab.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said…

    You're right about rehab, it's the revolving door that cleanses.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004