Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Thanks, Lady!

Where'd all this rain come from? The thunderstorm started around midnight and continued all night, with steady rain until noon; cleared up by 2 pm. Last year after a similar storm, I showed up for one of the rare 5th Sunday Pima Tactical matches, only to learn that the set-up crew had cancelled it the day before due to heavy rains. Pima sets up the non-cardboard stuff the day before, but since access to the club range crosses a few dirt washes, they were "washed out."

I hope this one isn't cancelled. I'm meeting Billy Budd from dormant blog American Dinosaur to show him how much fun practical shooting is. In the Arizona Monsoon Heat. Well, he's more of an Arizonan than I am...if this falls through, we might have to explore Cowboy Action Shooting together...I think that might be more up his alley. Heck, even if this match goes off as planned, we might have to try that.

I'm psyched about trying Cowboy Casual next month. I've dug up a 100-round box of .38 Special FMJ (verboten in Cowboyland), a camo neckerchief, and my boonie hat...my aim is not to make fun of SASS-gunners, but the casual observer might think so; I'm just trying to eliminate all the cowboy stuff that's insinuated itself into my idiom...like the suspenders and hat. Those are two very practical pieces of gear (especially when all that heavy stuff on my belt starts to pull my pants down). I'll probably shoot up my .44 Magnum lead reloads too. Why not?

3 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Chas S. Clifton said…

    "Cowboy Casual"? You mean that the SASS folks realize that while their sport is fun and also good training in practical shooting, not everyone wants to dress like Tom Mix and have a nickname like "Blind Ringtail"? I always figured that if I were going to do that, I might as while join the Society for Creative Anachronism, fight with swords, and call myself "Lord Charles of the Greenwood" or some such.

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tim Mix died just north of here in a Cord convertable hauling ass.....Supposed to rain again tonight. All my stuff is saturated to the gills already. Bummer about the shoot. Next time compadre!

     
  • At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I meant Tom Mix, Tim and Chex were his brothers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004