Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Cowboy Blogs

Repost (placed some pics that lost hosting): I get Google hits all the time for "Cowboy Blog" and I'm sure many visitors go away disappointed in my blog's content. For you folks, let me direct you to Cowboys 101, a Resource and History of the Old West page that includes a list of Cowboy-themed blogs, including yours truly.

As my site description says, "I'm not a real cowboy, but I play one in the movies." That movie was "Ghost Rock," a low-budget kung-fu-sexy-Western that went straight to DVD (be sure to check out the review at the imdb site). If you want to know how bad this movie was...it had Gary Busey reciting Shakespeare. Once you tear your expectations down low enough, though, it's kind of a fun movie. It's got cheesy dialogue (thanks to Michael Worth), gratuitous nudity and violence (thanks to director Dustin Rikert and Dan Southworth, actor and fight coordinator), and me (thanks to Mom and Dad)!

The production was so low-budget that they didn't pay the extras, but it was a fun experience and most of the Hollywood folks were nice enough to pose for photo ops with us.



Lindy Teague (of Baywatch) was a nice lady whose part was cut severely in post-production.



Craig Wasson was the evil comic relief. I know he's been in other movies (I haven't seen), but I remember him from The Boys in Company C ("Happy Birthday, General Dearborn" *BOOOM!*).

Some Screenshots:



The guy I'm helping walk had his speaking parts totally out...there went my close-up! That's Adrienne Barbeau (very nice lady) center front.

Besides my nice guy townsfolk persona, I appeared in two other costumes as the second unit director started running out of bad guys (the bad guys were running out, wanting to get paid):



Cowboy purists would poo-poo my shooting style here, but really, my thumb was too short to gain purchase on the hammer without losing grip on the handle, so I cocked with my off-hand.



No one can fault me for stunt work here, though. I think I got shot by Jenya Lano's character. She's hot.

That's her in the middle. Update: (l. to r., Renee Roland (Producer), Crista Sauls, Jenya Lano, Adrienne Barbeau, Peggy Seagren (1990 Penthouse Playmate and Special Assistant to Mr. Busey...yeah, right).

(Photo by Spooky Joe, SASS#24061 - Yes, there were a bunch of CAS guys there.)



On the last day of shooting, they had me fill in for one of the thugs that walked out. I'd shaved my beard down to a Col. Sanders goatee, but you'd never know it. I got to beat some Chinaman ass in my last scene, then got beat up by his brother. Had to take three or four gutpunches until they got it right. That reminds me, I better check the Tucson Film Office site again for upcoming casting calls!

5 Comments:

  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger BillyBudd said…

    Great pics with hot chicks! Dang am I jealous.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jay.Mac said…

    When I read you were in it, I rented Ghost Rock out and I've got to say that I'd recommend it. It's a fun little flick.

    A kung fu-cowboy movie with Adrienne Barbeau. Heck, all it needed were a few zombies and it would be a surefire classic!

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Ssssteve said…

    Yeah I'm going to go rent it too! That is soo cool! You big movie star you!

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Gruzzlypeakfilms said…

    Well Bob, hope you had fun watching all my "cheesy dialogue" getting read by our actors while you were there on set. And our apologies for all that "gratuitous nudity" that took place in ONE scene between the two lead lovers. I mean we just shouldn't have our two love interests doing anything personal like that. Would just be plumb unnatural. Oh, not to mention "gratuitous". But thankfully we got you in there to balance it all out :-) That and low expectations. See ya on the sequel!

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Looking forward to it, Michael! I'm in film school now, thanks partly to that interesting experience with the biz. Maybe I'll be interning by then!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004