Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Lost Treasure

Of all the great Americans we've lost this year, one I miss greatly is Shelby Foote, who passed away this Sunday. I haven't even read any of his books, but, thanks to Ken Burns' The Civil War series on PBS and later on DVD, I learned to appreciate the poetic perspective he brought to US history. As I seem to have started accumulating books again, maybe I'll pick up a few of his this year.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger trainer said…

    Yeah, he was top of the line. He said something in the docudrama that stuck with me...I paraphrase:

    ..."In the moments before Picketts Charge, when the cause of the South was at its height, when 15 thousand men were drawn up on the field before the Union center and the flags were flying....before the slaughter and long retreat to surrender, that is the moment. The moment every young southern boy dreams he was standing when he was growing up."

    A great and sad loss

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004