Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Who Are These Guys?



Guess who these folks are and win a homemade blog ad in my sidebar for a month!

cowboyblob--at--yahoo-dot--com

Update: This is apparently not as easy as I thought (due to the lousy resolution). No one's made use of the obvious yet. Maybe some of the folks at Castle Argghhh! can figure it out.

Hint: There are guys from two units in this picture. It was snapped in the early 80s. I will also accept the project name or the squadron now performing the mission.

Wrong guesses so far:
Det 2, 67th Information Operations Group
628th Air Mobility Support Squadron
553rd Air Force Band...John!
Squadron 23 Iraqi Air Force & USAF Instructors...good one!

Another Update: There has been one correct response (he nailed it after making the wrong assumption several others have made) but he requested to disqualify himself. Even so, I'll make him a blog ad if he ever decides to publish a blog.

Yet Another Update: Enough people have guessed one group that I'll post it: The flight crew of this aircraft are from the 193d Special Operations Wing, PA Air National Guard, based at Harrisburg IAP. What about the guys in the back?

We Have a Winner! Close enough for government work, anyway.

Jeremy Bol of American Warmonger guessed 193d SOW PANG and 169th Intelligence Squadron UTANG of Senior Scout. The Stormin' Mormons of the 169th have the mission today, and I said I'd accept that. The "self-loading baggage" in the back were actually members of the 6994th Electronic Security Squadron based at Fort Meade MD.

The aircraft is an EC-130E (COMFY LEVI), not a (RIVET RIDER) "Commando Solo" as many have guessed. The RR is a flying radio and television station used for PSYOPS with very distinctive tail antenna. The CL accepts a roll-on, roll-off crew suite and bolt-on antennas , and performs various classified mobility missions.

The 6994th ESS was a descendant of the 6994th Security Squadron detachments who crewed EC-47s during the Viet Nam conflict, and now exists as the 94th Intelligence Squadron. Photo courtesy of the Prop Wash Gang at Silent Warriors.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger American Warmonger said…

    I just sent you an edjumucated guess by the data available. Im not 1,000% sure, but this is the best I could come up with. The website I really wanted to pull up for this is down.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger BillyBudd said…

    Maybe a C 130 E from the Pennsylvania Air Guard, I sent this pick to my man on the inside. he works on the C 130 H Compass Call stuff, he will know how to find out. I wonder if the Blob is in there?

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger JulieB said…

    well, i got as far as Billy did. Pennsylvanie Air National Guard, it's a C-130, but he already said that, so I duuno!

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger BillyBudd said…

    C 130H S/N 382-4942?

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger FbL said…

    AC-130 Gunship with the PA National Guard?

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger American Warmonger said…

    Alright, I gave it another shot. Check your e-mail.

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger American Warmonger said…

    Plane: EC-130E Rivet Rider/Commando Solo
    Purpose: Psyops

    Mission previously done by the EC 121 Coronet Solo

    I believe I have now sent the winning entry. Please check your e-mail.

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Scout flew with the PANG, but before it belonged to the UTANGers and not until the late 80's. So, if it's a Scout, the picture can't be from the early 80's. Before that, it was Comfy Levi. Try again guys.

    LS

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004