Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Martini Shot

Weeks after the bulk of my movie was "in the can," I recruited my visiting buddy Jon to help me arrange the Martini Shot of Always. Lots of folks don't realize how little light actually makes it into a movie camera. For this shot, I'd placed a 750 watt Tota floodlight in the back of the garage and aimed a 500 watt Omni floodlight at the bedroom window (composed out of the picture). While Jon hosed down the sidewalk and driveway, I'd set up the camera across the street behind a wet pane of picture frame glass gaffer-taped to a light stand.

Time to set up? About an hour. Time on screen: about half a second. If I was really artistic and ambitious, I would have lit the exterior of the house with two more lights and hit the dining room window with another Omni, but, hey, it was Saturday night after a long day on the range, and we had those martinis rums and coke waiting. There's only so much I'm willing to do for half a second of screen time, at least at the amateur level.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 4:49 AM, Blogger Joanie said…

    Yeah, lighting is a bitch. At least with photography you can go for a faster lens (I usually have to leave my 50mm on because it's f1.8 and I shoot so much low light stuff). I can't even imagine how much harder you have to work for a movie.

     
  • At 4:50 AM, Blogger Joanie said…

    P.S. You know, one of these days, I'd love to come watch you work and do some stills for you.

    Just a thought.

    I'll bring rum.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004