Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Worst ACTS Match Ever

Yup, I only had a bucket of fun instead of the whole 126 imperial gallon buttload.

It was three stages, but one of them was a blind stage that used three bays, plus the 200-yard long-range lane that connects them. Last time, Stage from Hell was run with all ten shooters on the same squad. Stage from Hell II was run in a match with three 10-man squads. Can you say "Bottleneck?" I knew you could. About 30 shooters! I hope some of them come back!

Other than that, the POFMeister ran great (once I cleaned out all the brass shavings and dirt from the firing pin tube), my fat little legs didn't, and I got to see some great Gun Pr0n!


My nemesis Aaron brought his Baby AR (left) and proceeded to kick my ass with it. Lots of serious shooters were there with cool toys. Here's a bullpup AK (right) that caught my eye.

By the way, the AZ Match Director has okayed the use of muzzle brakes (hence my using the POF-Meister this time) -- there were several short-barreled rifles in attendance that rivalled my brake for noise factor!

I bet you want to see some match Video, huh?

Oh, yeah, the first stage was tentatively titled "Han Shot First." He had to simulate a table to shoot under because we feared shooting up the PPC's. I got good hits on this one, except I "ignored" a target, which costs you 35 seconds in ACTS.

Stage Two is an old stand by of ours, but this time we hung numbered tags on some of the targets: 0 = no-shoot hostage target; any other number represented the number of shots you were required to take on each target. Untagged targets were the default two shots. Trying to read the tags while the wind was blowing was quite a challenge! I did well just to shoot this without a hostage hit, since the shoot-through opportunities were abundant.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 2:11 AM, Blogger Desert Cat said…

    Doggone I have the hots for those little guns! Whose bullpup was that? I'd love to get my hands on one and try it out before I buy.

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Ranger_SXT said…

    I said worst executed, not worst ever!

    :)

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    I stand by my original statement. I wasn't quoting you. :)

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    DC, I didn't recognize the guy (or find out the maker)... lotsa fresh faces! Didn't see YOURS, either.

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bob,
    I'm hoping we will be there next month. Our lives have slowed down a little, so maybe we can take a Saturday off to go shooting. If DC doesn't want to go, I'm planning on showing up. I haven't been shooting in way too long of a time.
    Daisycat

     
  • At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bob, I'm sorry that you felt this was the worst one ever. I felt it was a decent match. Not great, not bad, but decent. I know a few more things to work on due to this match and I will be addressing them.

    The stages were meant to be a challenge and I believe they accomplished that goal. However, I didn't plan on 29 shooters to show up at a September match. If I had there wouldn't have been a Stage 3 like we ran but two smaller stages.

    Anyways, I live and learn just like anyone else. Being an MD is still new to me and I am learning from my mistakes. I would hope you can see there has been improvement in ACTS since I have taken over and that I'm always looking to improve every aspect of it.

    Later,
    Kelly

     
  • At 3:01 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Jeez, Kelly, did I say I didn't have fun?

     
  • At 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, I didn't say you didn't have some fun. Just stating how things went IMO and that I am taking measures to make sure I don't put on another "worst ACTS match ever".

    That is all! :D
    Kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004