Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bad Boys, Bad Boys...

What the officer said:

I'm Officer Sewenso of the East Texas Police. I pulled you over because you were in the left lane and not passing... plus, when you returned to the right lane, you didn't signal until you were already across the centerline.

What I said:

Oh.

What I could have said:

Your police car on the right shoulder (almost nosing into the traveling lane) constitutes an "emergency vehicle" and a few states I pass through explicitly declare that I must move aside for those. As you state, I wasn't passing anybody, so how important was that turn signal, except to excite a bored trooper trolling for drunk drivers after midnight?

The trooper's "interview" confirmed my suspicions; he probably wasn't that interested in my life story (as I told it), but rather was examining my speech for signs of intoxication.

What I should have said:

I'm not really "retired," I publish a blog called "Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery" and I am soooo blogging this! May I take your picture? Did you know that my blog was named 55th Most Informative by a Carnegie-Mellon study? I mostly publish humorous stuff and articles on the shooting sports... wanna see the Colt Match Heavy-barrel behind my seat?

What I wouldn't have said:

Ya know, I know my carry permit is good in Texas, but I can't recall if I'm required to notify you right away....

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger John R said…

    ooops...

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger AlanDP said…

    In Texas, the left lane is not a passing-only lane unless specifically posted as such. It's just another driving lane.

    If I'm wrong, someone please show me exactly when they changed the law.

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Fits said…

    All 50 states pull the old "keep left, pass right" gimmick whenever they need to justify an otherwise bogus stop.

    He let you off with a warning?

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger Fits said…

    Ahem. Make that KEEP RIGHT PASS LEFT. Damn if the eggnog isn't getting ta me.

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Most of I-30 was marked "Left Lane for Passing Only" sporadically. He gave me a warning.

     
  • At 2:12 AM, Blogger Ryan said…

    Sporadic markings which must be constantly followed are great. I am a big fan of starting the I have a gun conversation by including my CCP with the other junk I hand them and keeping my hands on the steering wheel. It is hard to not mess with a cop who is trolling for drunks though, I have done similar myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004