Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Meet the New Kid

Here's another view of the new SKS! It's an unissued M59/66 from Zastava, FRY, imported by Cherrys Gso NC. By Head's standards, I paid too much for it, but I figured the difference went to the gun shop for meticulously cleaning out the cosmoline for me. My first SKS, a bayonet-equipped Chinese model, was lousy with gunk that took a while to clean with gasoline and a toothbrush.

What sold this baby to me was the fine, relatively unfinished wood furniture, the blade bayonet, and the neat-o, super-cool grenade launch attachment. I gotta get me some blanks and dummy grenades now. Source, anyone?

My first shot at the 100-yard steel clanked satisfactorily and it printed a great off-hand group on the paper plate. I didn't shoot it much because I neglected to bring stripper clips...top-loading it round by round was almost as tedious as loading the 9AR 32-rounders! I don't know if this baby has turned me into an SKS Collector, but I'll certainly be looking at other examples with a different eye.

Update: Google is your friend. Trust Google.

BIG SKY SURPLUS, LLC.
3018 E. Sinto. Spokane WA 99202
Phone: (509) 535-9486 Call for Fax Number
General questions: ammoking@bigskysurplus.com
Sales: ammoking@bigskysurplus.com

Also:
7.62x39 LIVE BLANKS — 100/$50

When Cowboy Blob has some spare $$$, he's gonna have some fun!

I love this country!!!

9 Comments:

  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Porta's Cat said…

    fun little rifle!

    congrats!

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Blogger BULLSEYE said…

    I like the way they come apart for cleaning. Is it true that if you replace the fixed box magazine with a higher cap removeable mag, that it's illegal? I can't ever get a straight answer on this subject. Maybe Head would know. What's not to like about a rifle that comes with it's own stand...just stab it in the dirt.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Porta's Cat said…

    g. Is it true that if you replace the fixed box magazine with a higher cap removeable mag, that it's illegal?

    it is not illegal (or at least not anywhere other than Kali), but it is foolish. The mags never work well, and the 10 round box mag works like a charm. Plus, prone shooting with a 30 round AK style mag bite the big one.

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    It's legal in my state, but I don't want to mess with it. I have an AK (Chinese 64S in .223) and other evil, hi-cap magazine assault rifles, so I'll keep this in its original condition.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Firehand said…

    It's a NATO-standard size launcher, so any of those practice grenades will fit. I got hold of an Israeli through a guy on The High Road; rubber 'warhead', rebuildable body, it's great!

    Standard blanks will launch it about 100-120 yards, depending on angle.

    I'd tell you where I got mine, but I lost the bloody link when my old pc died, I'll see if can dig it up

     
  • At 11:50 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said…

    Totally sweet, dude!

    Enjoy...

     
  • At 12:46 AM, Blogger Goldwater's Ghost said…

    OK, the practice grenades are cool and military looking.

    But for real fun, and true uselessness, try a golf ball launcher. www.bloomautomatic.com

    Much easier to get lots of projectiles to launch downrange. Cheaper, too.

    And I think Gulf Coast Ammo last quoted Wolf blanks for like $68/500.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger trainer said…

    I've seen tennis ball launchers on the web for the SKS, but can't quickly find the link.

    In Jersey, the SKS can ONLY have a fixed mag with less than 15 rounds...so I'm stuck with the 10s and 5s.

    Here is a link to a letter I sent to the BATF when I was doing some bubba to my SKS.

    http://www.the-trainer.com/blog/archives/000970.html

    Here is the letter I got back...you'll need to magnify it.

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bjbarron/blogfiles/batfletter.jpg

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Blogger Firehand said…

    Well, hell, I found the place that had blanks for a MUCH better price, and they're out of ALL 7.62x39.

    I'll check back, in case they get them back in.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004