Cowboy Blob's Saloon and Shootin Gallery

I'm not a real Cowboy, but I play one in the movies.

Monday, May 23, 2005

BoG Unveiled



Ed Cameron is an excellent gunsmith and a great friend. He was willing to take half a gun monkied with by yours truly and a box of parts and turn it into a real gun. I understand the aggravation he endured to make it so and he's got a customer for life now. No more Boxes o' Gun for him, though. Sorry to ruin it for everybody else.

It's a Springfield slide on an Essex frame. The sights are Bo-Mar. The barrel is Nowlin and the grips are coco bolo. The trigger is adjustable and light. The thumb safety is ambidextrous (my brother is a lefty; I'll will this to him).

Ed applied the satin finish to the gun itself...it was ugly bare metal as bought. It's a thing of beauty; I only wish I could take pictures well enough to do it justice (see Anarchangel's examples).

BoG's fraternal twin (bought from the same store the same day I picked up the frame) is a Colt Series 80 Mark IV "Enhanced." NotBoG will be added to Ed's backlog later in the year after I've broken in BoG and have some cash saved up. I'm thinking Novak sights would be an improvement. What do you all think?


7 Comments:

  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger AnarchAngel said…

    Novaks, a new trigger, and mainspring housing.. and maybe a beveled magwell.

    Good one man, BoG looks slick (literally. Nice dehorn job; jsut a light clean edge break without being sharp, and a smoothe frame.)

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Telebush said…

    Very nice... now I'm thinking about a .45! ...I just need to find some extra cash.

     
  • At 1:04 AM, Blogger Jerry The Geek said…

    Me! Me! Me!
    (* Waving hand in air *)

    Will your Box 'o Gun to ME, Cowboy Blob!

    (Is your insurance paid out? Your bro deserves SOMETHING from your untimely demise.)

     
  • At 1:29 AM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Actually, NotBoG has a slightly beveled mag well (that's the "Enhanced " part). BoG originally had a large S&A magwell, but I had butchered it so Ed put in a cheap mainspring housing he had on hand. Ed will see BoG again for sure and I will gladly give him the money. That will be after several months of breaking in.

    Jerry, what makes you think my demise will be untimely? (Checks to ensure loaded chamber....)

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Goldwater's Ghost said…

    OK, looking at that Colt, and thinking of my Delta, I can't help wondering...what the hell is with Colts and fugly grips?

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said…

    Actually, those grips are very functional and I might leave them on if I don't replace the nylon trigger (they match!). I selected coco bolo for BoG because I thought that was the most attractive. I can't think of anything that looks better, so functional stays...unless I can find something that looks cool on a shiny stainless steel gun.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Goldwater's Ghost said…

    I've seen some very nice looking Delta grips made by Ahern. I assume he can do standard Colt ones as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Visits Since September 11, 2004